Friday, March 02, 2007

Snow+power outages= no fun

I have been enjoying the snow. Even when we could not get out of our driveway I was still enjoying it. The flush of pleasure evaporated the minute, nay the second, the power went out. I realized at that point that I was wholly unprepared. Now I am used to hurricane preparedness, and I take it semi seriously. Enough water, canned goods, candles and all that jazz. Snow preparedness I am so not familiar with. When the lights went out on Tuesday evening Kevin and I both scrambled around in the dark for a little while (luckily we had a fire in the fireplace) till he found a flashlight. Then I went searching for candles. I have candles, loads of them, they just happen to still be packed away in boxes (somewhere).

Once we had light the evening was nice and quiet. I knit on the clapotis (which I am obsessed with at the moment) and Kev played on his Nintendo DS (of course it has to be a video game ::sigh::). We went to bed a little early. Pulled out extra blankets to cover the kids and piled into bed. I realized at that moment that I can not sleep with utter silence. I MUST have white noise. My evening friend, the electric fan, was silenced due to lack of juice. I lay there awake, in the absolute dark, pining for my airy pal, wishing the power would come on any second. Alas, it did not and I resigned myself to a restless night.

Next morning, Justin (brother in law) was able to come up from town and pick us up at the top of our street and drive us back to his house so we could be warm while we waited for PG&E to restore our electricity. 20 hrs without power is not too shabby, especially when we did not have to spend the whole time in a cold house.

I did not get alot of knitting done. I am working solely on the clapotis right now. Draken's sweater has been pushed to the side right now as I am determined to stay focused on one project at a time. I know that will not last and the clapotis will be thrust aside as soon as my package from Blue Moon comes with my Sock Club yarn. Tonight I will work as fast as I can but I know that the clapotis is doomed to wait, I just hope that it can make it out of the UFO basket one last time.

No comments: